Sunday, October 22, 2006

Lake Mirror Classic


This weekend was the Lake Mirror Classic here in Lakeland. Me and my friend Ebenezer attended on Saturday, to drool over all the amazing autos that would be on display in the closed off streets and around the lake.

We first met up for breakfast at Denny’s around 9:00am to seize the day with a good meal. We then ventured down town to the show of dream machines. Since a lot of streets were closed and so many people were in attendance for this, it was a challenge to find a place to park. No matter what, we knew we’d be doing a lot of walking. After driving around for a few minutes with Ebenezer following behind me, we finally found an empty parking lot a few blocks from the event.

It was now time to begin our quest to behold the beauties of transportation. Soon we we’re gazing upon a Saleen S7 and talking to a few owners of Dodge Vipers. They bragged of how the car would handle at 170. We later gawked at a yellow Ford GT racing car and admired a new Bentley Continental GT. It was very hot outside that day, so we were soon looking for some ice cold aqua! We found some and downed them in no time! Later, we looked at some Ferrari’s. Eb referred to the rear engine on one that you could view through glass as a “sleeping beast”.

By this time, the sun was directly over head. Not only did it feel like it was melting me, but even worse, it did not lend to good photographs. One of the redeeming qualities though, is that with this much sun, you can set the aperture to it’s smallest setting and obtain long depths of field (lots of things in focus). In cases like this, getting a sharp image, is not going to be one of your problems. Some of the challenges I did have though, was getting too much glare or catching people’s reflections in the paint finishes. That’s one of the reasons I like shooting “personality” shots of vehicles at shows, because of how difficult it is to get a complete view of the car without showing other people in the shot.

As we were getting ready to leave the lake area, I spotted this vintage Porsche racing car. It’s almost paint less body with the number 32 on the hood stuck out to me. For some reason, it’s one of my favorite images I captured that day. My younger cousin Bradley saw this image and said it looked like a type of shark.

15 comments:

Anonymous said...

What were you standing on to get this shot? I look forward to seeing the other pictures no matter how many people are in the images! :)

Wingnut said...

When I clicked onto your blog and saw this shot, I said outloud, "neat-o" You certainly have a way with shooting cars! I wanna see more!

Anonymous said...

Superbe..............j'adore cette photo et cet voiture.


Superb .............. I adore this photograph and this car.

photowannabe said...

Classy shot. No description needed.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Crazy Diamond,
My Nikon has a flip out viewing screen that pivots. This allows me to do such things as raise the camera up as far as I can reach and still view what I'm shooting. This feature comes in handy if I'm shooting from a high perspective or a low one.

Thanks everyone.

Michele @ crazyfordesign said...

When I saw the number I thought of the classic movie Herbie. (Not the Lohan remake.) Cute. Fun shot.

Gabriella said...

So did I Michele...

Bill said...

Looks like the count downs at the start of old movies :)

Joel Reynolds said...

Very cool as usual, Chad! Very graphical. Good eye on this shot!
Joel

Lucy said...

I agree with chilly's mom and gabriella the great. It's Herbie the Love Bug! :-)
That's pretty crazy it's still so hot in FL. We had an unexpected cold streak here in Sac but I think it is coming to an end.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Joel,
Thanks, I try to capture the "graphic element" of an image sometimes.

Luce,
You know what's crazy, it was so hot on Saturday, but today and tonight it's kinda "brisk" outside! Our Fall and Winter is like a roller coaster. The temps go up and down.

Brian Mc said...

I'm drooling, I'm drooling...looks like an awesome day with a friend & cool cars!

Brian Mc said...

Yow, looking at it again, what is that, like, stainless steel???

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Brian,
It was a good day. I'm glad you enjoyed the images. I'm not sure if that's stainless steel or just the bare metal, but either way, it caught my eye.

Michelle B said...

Super! Shaken, not Stirred.