Tuesday, April 08, 2008

Night at the Opera


This past Saturday evening, Sandy and I went to the Polk Theatre in downtown Lakeland for a live performance of Mozart’s comedic opera, “Cosi Fan Tutte (translated, "Women are like that"). The opera was performed by Southeastern University’s “Southeastern Lyric Theatre” and featured Sandy’s cousin, Justin, as Don Alfonso, one of the lead parts. Neither of us had ever been to an opera or the historic Polk Theatre for that matter, so this gave us an opportunity to experience something new together.

Upon entering the beautifully restored, 1928 theatre, you could feel yourself go back in time a little. My thoughts went to some of the scenes from the films, “The Illusionist”, or “The Prestige”, where similar settings were portrayed.

The opera opened with a musical introduction by a live orchestra. We were sitting just a few rows from the front and the amazing sounds that were coming from the instruments of these well trained musicians impressed my ears. It was hard to believe that the sound I was hearing was being played live. The next two and a half hours would be accompanied by this pleasant sound.

Once the performers entered the stage for the beginning of the first act, I quickly discovered more of what the evening was going to be all about. One…much to my liking, the words were in English and two…the scene was being played out as a play, but with every word sung! See, going into this, I had no idea what to expect. So, these revelations were positive ones for both Sandy and I.

As the night progressed, I was amazed at how each performer would sing every single word of conversation. I was equally amazed at how they were able to remember every single word of conversation. It was certainly a concert and play combined, but almost could be looked at as a two and a half hour song. Much skill, talent, and training was exercised by each cast member.

Looking back, it was definitely a unique experience to take in and share with Sandy. As we were about to leave the parking lot at the end of the night, I reminded her of how we were just talking about wanting to be more creative with our dates…I said, “We definitely were this weekend”. She agreed.


I captured this image almost a year ago...I finally found a reason to use it in a post.

18 comments:

Anna said...

Sounds like fun Chad! Neat image...very retro...it matches the one on my blog you commented on!

Hope you are having a great week!

Stacey Olson said...

Thanks Chad. What a memorable and unique date...

Jose said...

How fun! I like trying thing like that too. The image is fantastic, I like the old ornamental work behind the theater name.

~Brenda said...

This was a unique date night; and to have seats close to the front would have made it exceptional.

Salty and I have seen the movies “The Illusionist” and “The Prestige” I have a sense of the Polk Theatre from your description. The sign has a touch of Class.

Great Commentary!

Shionge said...

What a wonderful night out and you are so receptive to the idea of attending an Opera show....good!! Many men will not have your patience not unless they are really into plays Chad.

You know what? I think this is the most romantic night out and as a woman I can tell you honestly Sandy love you more for such a meaningful date. Good luck and more to come :D

Michele @ crazyfordesign said...

I've been to the theater for a concert before, I think. Pretty cool place to still have around.

Lori said...

I sounds like a wonderful time, Chad..especially since you were able to share it with Sandy.

Always keep that magic alive...

Joel Reynolds said...

Cool shot, dude.

Joel

photowannabe said...

Great retro shot Chad. Your date sounds like a perfect memory maker. Doing new things together is just the best.

Anonymous said...

It does remind me of some old retro signs. I guess that is what it really is.

Abraham Lincoln in Brookville, Ohio.

Ash said...

Good one!

Laurie said...

Sounds like a really lovely evening. Old theaters are so wonderful. Sometimes they attract more attention than the show that is being performed.

lv2scpbk said...

Good post. Right now we seem to be able to only get to the movies and go bowling once in awhile. We are planning a vacation this summer though.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Quite nostalgic theatre sign ... cool shot.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

neat!!! reminds me of Town theatre i spotted here in a small, humble, midwestern downtown. i'll put it up for you some day :)

Willard said...

Hi Chad.
It sounds like you had a wonderful evening!

Ted said...

You are so the photographer. You spent an evening at the opera and it was the process which blew you away. And I could totally ride with you. I'm that way with ballet. The few times I've gone, it was the mechanics which overwhelmed me. The athleticism of the dancers, the integration of music, costume, with the spectacle. Even the sweat on brows as bodies did impossible things while their owners smiled. Whoa, who could smile doing that, I wondered. It was more an intellectual exercise than an emotional one.
You nowhere here tell us about the melody, the harmony, the interrelationship of voice types with plot and its reinforcement with music. You were a visitor at a foreign culture, one whose delicate nuances were... well... foreign.
Do I sound knowledgeable? I shouldn't I've never been to an opera. So, like you when I finally go I'll relate to the things I know, rather then the vastness of the art form I don't.
Your report from the Polk is terrific. You see things that the opera buff will simply miss. I think I'm a tad more prepared to try one now. Thanks for that.

Unknown said...

long time didn't visit my blog. hope to see u there.