Wednesday, June 18, 2008

Brownie


This past Saturday, Sandy and I ventured into historic downtown Kissimmee. As we walked by shops, I kept an eye out for interesting things to photograph. The late afternoon sun was beating down and was as bright as it was hot. Before too long, we came upon an antique store that I had driven past many times on my way to see my girl, but had never gotten the chance to explore. So, we took a break from the heat and went in to see what treasures awaited us.

Once inside, an older gentleman behind a counter, calmly greeted us and said that if we had any questions, just to let him know. We thanked him and began our journey through the narrow path created for shoppers to browse this storehouse of human history. We saw many things, mostly objects that we wouldn’t necessarily want, but were just nice to look at. As we made our way through the maze, I began to realize that this place was bigger than I imagined it would be from the outside and was filled to what seemed capacity.

The best find for me was a shelf that held a number of antique cameras. I knew as soon as I saw it that I wanted to photograph them with the digital camera that was conveniently around my neck. One of the old artifacts that caught my eye was this 1948 Brownie Target Six-20. If you use your imagination, it kind of has a face. Do you see it?

14 comments:

Anna said...

I do. It looks like a robot! :) I am glad you are well and it sounds like your outing was lots of fun!

Blue Wave 707 said...

Cool shot! How times have changed! What a piece of nostalgia.

~Brenda said...

I do see the “face” and I enjoyed reading your commentary.

What a treasure to find a piece of Eastman Kodak history!

photowannabe said...

I see that Brownie is so surprised someone finally noticed him after all those years.
A great way to spend some time with your girl.

Ash said...

Charming!

Coy Hill said...

Super cool! I well remember cameras like this! Those were the days when you were just happy to get a picture that wasn't blurred too badly. No focus, no exposure settings, they were the early inexpensive point & shoots!

Lori said...

Of course, it was the first thing I saw!

These are the kinds of outings I love the most. And the older I get, the more antiques I find from my own past!

This is great. Technology is wonderful, but relics from the past are treasures.

Joel Reynolds said...

Very cool, Chad - love the look of those old cameras. Gotta love the convenience of the new digitals, though.

Joel

Michele @ crazyfordesign said...

I'm surprised you didn't buy it. I think you would be the perfect candidate for a collection of antique cameras.

bryan said...

I see the face!

G. Harrison said...

110 film was used, was it not?

my dad used one for quite awhile and the soft-edged images are very distinctive.

gord h.

Jessica said...

Oh yes I see the face! And the price tag almost seems like a wave of hair! V. v cool.

Laurie said...

I have one of those sitting around somewhere in the house.

Cool shot.

I am trying to get caught up after taking an extended break from blogging.

JAM said...

The art deco styling does make it look like a robot to me too.

I have a few old cameras similar to this that people tend to give me when they find that I'm interested in photography, too bad many of them use film types no longer made.