Tuesday, August 08, 2006

Movie Classics


I rent a lot of DVD’s. I have the “Blockbuster Movie Pass” and am usually down there renting two at a time whenever I can. I like movies that have Adventure, Romance, Suspense, Drama, Comedy and especially ones that have everything I just mentioned.

I don’t really “buy” a lot of DVD’s though. I usually only want to “own” a movie if it really moves me or if it’s a “Classic” or “Modern Day Classic”. If I just have to share a film with people I know or people I’m going to know in the future, I usually buy it. It has to be "Widescreen" too, especially if it's an old movie. I like being able to see everything the director intended me to when he framed up the shot and not just what was "formatted to fit my TV". It's kind of special having a widescreen of a classic that was usually only viewed "square" on TV. Not to mention, TV's are all becoming widescreen more and more.

I remember my Mom and Grandma watching old movies when I was a kid. I also used to watch “Nick at Night” which reran old shows. One of my favorites was “Hitchcock Presents”, the black and white half hour show that would feature short tales by the master of suspense. I think I like old films because they’re usually “clean” yet still really cool. All the stuff you love without the stuff you don’t!

There are still great movies today though! Just view my “Favorite Movies” list in my profile and your see some of mine. “The Count of Monte Cristo”, Superb film with everything I love. “Napoleon Dynamite”, it’s weird I know, but I just love it! Anyone else who agrees with me knows what I’m talking about, “Gosh!” And yes, that is two copies you see up there. Once the special two disc set with never before seen features came out, I had to buy that one too! "It's Incredible!" I can pretty much quote any line from that movie.

I enjoy good cinematography because it’s similar to photography. A nice frame on screen usually makes a good “still”. Creative camera angles in films give me ideas for photos. I remember reading advice from a photographer in a magazine, who said to pay attention to how film makers make use of the horizontal “landscape” frame to compose each shot.

"Now imagine yourself floating weightless in the middle of the ocean surrounded by sea horses."

4 comments:

Lucy said...

Hi Mr. Chad Oneil,
Thanks for swinging by my blog! I've enjoyed looking at your pictures.
I have to agree with your assessment of Napoleon Dynamite. It is a classic that is flippin' sweet, heck yes! :-)
Keep up the good work(and you should check out Chris Rice if you like Jaci Velasquez)...

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Glad you enjoyed my photos. You must have looked through the "Archives", I hope more people do that!

Yea, I'm familiar with Chris Rice as well. He reminds me a little of James Taylor in his voice and musically. I'm pretty knowledgeable when it comes to Contemporary Christain music!

Ligers Rule!

Michele @ crazyfordesign said...

I don't want to imagine myself floating weightless in the middle of the ocean surrounded by sea horses. That freaks me out.. sea horses?!!! What if they tried to eat me!

Coy Hill said...

Love the pic. How did you achieve the lighting effect, it looks like a spotlight in the center. Napoleon Dynamite, I never did get it, must be a generational thing.