Tuesday, October 16, 2007

Leaf Filter


As I photographed with my Dad and cousin, Amy, this past Saturday up in Pennsylvania, creativity was flowing all around. At one point, I observed Amy holding a leaf up to her camera lens. With the bright, early evening sun shining through the leaf and her camera set on macro, I knew she would be capturing something beautiful and unique. I quickly termed her technique as using a Leaf Filter”. She laughed and agreed.

Of course, I had to do some shots of my own using this technique as well. So, I did, and the above image is one of the results. As I reviewed this image on screen at my parent's house that night, my Dad commented about how cool the patterns were in the leaf. Patterns that were usually too small to really notice or appreciate.

Go on over to my cousin Amy’s photo blog to check out more of her shots from that day as well. When I watched her taking the image of her boyfriend, Justin, through a hole in a leaf, I was impressed. When I saw the final product on her camera’s review screen, I knew it was one of the shots of the day. Go check it out!

15 comments:

ASHE said...

That one spot of green really "makes" this photograph. My dad asked me if I planned on going in and fixing the blemishes in the leaves. I think they are beautiful the way they are.

Thank you for your kind words, too :)

Kimberley said...

Ohh I really adore the awesome shade of yellow here. great macro as well. GREAT shot Chad.

Shionge said...

Cool! Cool! Cool! :) Welcome back and managed to browsed through your last three posts...how interesting Chad, you were born in Germany, can you speak that language?

Yes I've visited Ash's & Salty's blog and realised that you all had a reunion and that's fantastic! All came together to share your love in photography and most importantly Family Bonding ;) Cheers to that!

Mr. Mapper said...

Welcome back from your vacation. It sounds like you had a great time with the family. my mom was with us this weekend on our trip to apple hill so she will probably be posting some of her shots from there as well.

Lori said...

This is so neat, with the closeup of the veins and pigments. We miss a lot from far away, don't we?

Glad to have you back, though it sounds like you had a great time!

JAM said...

This is a beauty Chad. I have found myself lately really looking at and trying to love the local Florida plant life, but you sure can't beat a beautiful fall, changed color leaf like that. I miss living in a place with distinct seasons and colorful hardwoods when I start to see everyone's fall photos.

Anonymous said...

This is an equally nice macro. I like the patterns too.

Memories Catcher said...

Great shot!I like the details and textures.Good colors.

~Brenda said...

I love the natural vibrant colors of the leaf.
I enjoyed watching the artistic approach that you and Amy have towards your pictures!

Jessica said...

Nice shot! What I love about macro is how we take the time to really examine the subject. Strange as it sounds, when I brought up your page I wasn't super close to my monitor and from a couple of feet away it looks like an aerial shot, something I'd see from a plane. V. Cool.

Jill said...

Great!! Love this.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Love the rich yellow with all the details that lend the leaf such character....the yellow reminds me of the water colors....

Catherine said...

Great shot...and interesting way to take a closeup...have to give it a try! You have a fantastic photo blog...loved my first visit here!
Great shot's!!
Cat

laurel said...

What an awesome technique! I am going to have to try it out.

Ashley said...

The leaf filter turned into a great close up shot!