Sunday, July 15, 2007

Warp Speed


Yesterday evening, I made another trip to Downtown Disney to look for some good images. After walking around for a time, I passed by a Disney street vendor who was selling glowing sticks for the forthcoming night as well as a few character specific souvenirs. One that caught my eye was of “Stitch” the alien from Disney’s “Lilo and Stitch”. He was in his racing style space craft that featured three rubber strands of different lengths with lights at the end of them, serving as a sort of propeller. It was getting near dusk and I immediately thought of doing a slow exposure to capture a cool light blur.

At first, I walked on by, not wanting to draw attention to myself by photographing this toy that the vendor wanted to sell and that little children wanted their parents to buy them. But, I stopped in my tracks, thought for a moment, then turned around and walked up to the guy manning the cart and said, “I have to photograph this thing”. He very accommodatingly replied “Sure! Go right ahead!” So, I tried a few shots and as I began realizing that it was still too early to get the desired effect, the guy working the station said, “Are you gonna be here for a while? You can Come back later once it’s darker.” I thanked him and told him I’d be back.

So, I eventually returned and began shooting this little alien with spinning lights in front of his space ship. Once I thought I had captured what I needed, I thanked the vendor once again and went on my way, knowing I had probably gotten my “shot of the night”.

27 comments:

Ted said...

Wheee!

There is summer stuff and winter stuff. Summer stuff is usually a lot more saturated. It tends to glow at night like a spinning wheel all afire in front of us. You can make images out of summer stuff, and there's no confusing them with Fall, or even Spring.

I like it that you "BINK!" up this tiny detail, and I can hear a car passing with its windows open and back beat music spilling out.

It's good to have you back John. Particularly in time for the muggy, hot days. The way you love color... this has gotta be O'Neil-Time.

Ted

Annie said...

This is fun, absolute fun. It reminds me of my childhood play with sparklers.

Anonymous said...

Prompt response and very very cook entry as well!

More I do have, but yet to be modified (school's getting in the way, if I may put it that way).

The Camaro too is my favorite :D
And the bi-chromatic R8 design totally has me sold!

Anonymous said...

*cool :S

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Ted,
You accidentally called me "John", but that's ok ;)

Yes, it is "Muggy" here in Florida this time of year where it's pretty much "summer" all year but not as muggy at times.

You're right, it is certainly "Oneil time" ;)

Thanks.

laurel said...

This is great! Very playful and I love the colors.

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

the colors here make it the shot for me!! :)

photowannabe said...

Great shot Chad. I love the colors and the 2 circles of light.

Jose said...

Chad, what a fun photo, I love how the sun has not completely left the day but it made it dark enough for the colors to do their magic as the toy spinned around. Kudos for another great picture.

Don't follow the "Potter" series.

I see "the Rebellion Has Begun" though ;)


Yeah, in my house only my daughter Nikki and I read the books and watched all the movies. I really enjoy them, I read the books only once, but watch the movies several times.

mrsnesbitt said...

WOW! I too go in search of inspiration, at the moment it is the beach, only 3 miles from our house.
Loved the colour, the excitement!

Ooooooooooooooooooh give me colour!

lv2scpbk said...

Very cool. It's a great shot. Isn't it funny how we go out of our way to get photos? I do the same thing. I've been kind of stuck right now thinking of places I can photograph.

Ash said...

Cool...great colors!!

Kekiinani said...

Gotta love those colors. Great shot!!! You are lucky to live so close to Disneyland!! My daughter would love it!! :) :)

Lori said...

How very neat! It is nothing like what I encounter on my walks, as I live in rural Kansas. I've heard all kind of interesting and fun things about Disney .this is a different take unlike any other. Thanks for a new perspective!

Anonymous said...

lol I just took it a few minutes before I uploaded it :P
Yes, that's me, being evil!! ROLF!!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Cari,
Ah, I see, I was wondering when you had taken your latest photo.

Anna said...

I love this Chad. It reminds me of one of those huge lollipops that you get when you are a kid....you have like 35 licks and then you cant eat anymore!

And yes, I am a seasoned night owl! :)

Great shot!

Jill said...

yes! I like this one a lot. Nice job.

Shionge said...

Thank you for waiting patiently and captured this wonderful shot with us :D

Michele @ crazyfordesign said...

I really like this one. Very fun. I'm very into the whimsy look. I love the angle of the second ring in the back. Plus, the rocket booster things are a great backdrop for the spinning foreground! Great eye.

Andrew said...

I'm a sucker for bright lights so you win by default. Nice Post.

Anonymous said...

:) thank you Chad :)

Anna said...

Just stopping by to say hey!

So, HEY!

Later!

Unknown said...

Amazing that this could be light. It looks solid matter. Well done :)

aphotoinhand said...

Haha, hey!!! I updated today. : )

I have a lot more I have to put in, but I managed to put at least a couple for now. Sorry for being gone so long. The blog'll explain why.

This pictures really great by the way. I love the colors.

JAM said...

Super. I love this. Whenever I ask for photos, people tend to be really nice. It's as if they're really appreciative of the fact that you're polite enough to ask.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Nice colors & cool long exposure to get both sets spinning!