Tuesday, July 03, 2007

Show Time


I just photographed the annual trade show that the company I work for puts on each year in Orlando, Florida. The show consists mainly of automotive tools and equipment with the occasional cool bike or car to look at. We had a few special guests at our show this year, one being “Dozer Cycle” company. They brought a few of their motorcycles for all the show attendees to enjoy gazing at. As I was photographing the great bikes, I aimed at one of the mirrors to see if I could get an interesting reflection of the girl working the booth who was sitting about 15 feet away. I was able to see her in the mirror, but couldn’t capture her smiling. So, I went over to her and showed her what I had photographed so far and explained why I needed her to look my way and smile. Once I grabbed this image and showed the result, she said, “Wow, that’s amazing!” She made me feel like I had just performed a street magic trick for her.

This was one of the many images shown in a slide show on four huge screens during a 2,000 attendee dinner Saturday night. As everyone enjoyed their meal, some of the 600 images I took from the previous two days were on display. Later that night, one of the vendors complimented me on my photography and mentioned this shot as one of the ones that stuck out to him.

I hope you all enjoy the new look of the photog blog. The phrase “every image has a story” is something that came to me recently. I think it applies well to photography and what my Blog is all about. Not only does an image “tell” a story itself, but there is always a story as to how and why that image came to be. At this Blog, I hope many stories are enjoyed; the stories that the images tell and the stories that I tell of how those images were created.

26 comments:

Dimples said...

Like the changes! You must have been proud to have YOUR images on display for so many people. As always, great work. Guess who! :)

lv2scpbk said...

Love the changes and new look. Glad to see your back and ready to post some great shots. That's amazing and congrats on them displaying your photos. What a honor. Love this shot. Great one to start with. Love the name too. Wish I'd thought of it.

Dimples said...

hey Chad. let me know what you think :)

Coy Hill said...

Super Cool!!!!!!!!!!!!

Great New Look!

Having your images displayed like that is AWESOME!!!!!!!!!!!!

Dimples said...

I can see the picture now.

Bill said...

When we were in Virginia, I ran the computer for our church service, and provided all the background images for the song slides from my collection. It was always fun to have people come back and ask where I got the photographs. Then they started making requests :)

Welcome back!

Lucy said...

Rock and Roll!

culturally literate idiot said...

Hm. Interesting. ::nods head:: Interesting..

Joel Reynolds said...

Woah, man! Nice work! Glad to see that you're back.
You know, I think we've got a few things in common - both Christians and Graphic Designers. I work at a place called Compass Creative Studio (www.compasscreative.ca - check it out if you have a sec) I'd love to see what stuff you do some time.
Take care, man.

Joel

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

Welcome back...and a whole new look with the blog and the profile pic....love it ..it's snazzy!!!
And Congrats on the event.....the pic is cooooooooooool!!! :)
I am gushing like a fool now, I think :D
and yes it's MOSI :)

photowannabe said...

Great new look Chad and what a great honor to have your work shown at the dinner.
I had to go back to mypost to see your company logo. Glad I could give them a free plug. That's cool.
Welcome back.

laurel said...

Yay, I get to see new shots!!!

I recently shot a three-day Sports Management Conference and also had my images playing on big screens during the final dinner. It's a pretty cool feeling I must admit:)

Of course, mine weren't awesome bikes, but rather people giving presentations.

I love what you did with this image.

laurel said...

NO way!

I just read on Moi's blog that you went to Tampa Tech??? Me too! I went from 10/93-10/95 (Commercial Art).

Small world!

Kekiinani said...

Glad you are back posting. Love your new blog look!!! That is awesome that you had so many images shown at the show!! Great Job. This one is particularly nice.. Very creative. Have a nice 4th of July...

Outhouse Capital of Canada said...

You have some great pics on your blog, I will be back often to visit

Anonymous said...

Interesting photos and I liked the narrative too.

Abraham Lincoln
Read about the robins
Read about Japanese Beetles

Kimberley said...

Okay Ive been GONE way too long... I adore your new icon (sexy indeed) and your new blogg wow! Even your work is growing sooo much I am so impressed and this shot is awesome. I am gonna try to make a conscience effort to stop by more frequently and adore your talent!

carmilevy said...

Hey Chad. The new look rocks, as does your photography - as always. I love the story surrounding this capture: you reached her with your image, which is what this amazing art is all about.

I see many more public displays of your work in future. This one is well-deserved: it sticks in my mind, too!

Unknown said...

WOOT!! Chads back :) Been missing your posts. I do love the new look. The header looks so professional.

Welcome back, Chad :)

Andreas said...

And the photo IS nice. Welcome back to the living :)

Andreas

Anonymous said...

That IS really good. I love the focus on this one. You're doing really good Chad! :)

Jill said...

Welcome back! Like the new look.

Anna said...

HEY CHAD!

So glad that you are back...LOVE the header and blog changes. Great! I know that you were thrilled about your images being shown like that....we are all thrilled for you too!

Looking forward to lots more! :)

Take care...

Matangi Mawley said...

fab!

Gabriella said...

Your back!!!!! hooray and it looks great!

When are you going to do a photo shoot of your favorite chocolate & vanila couple? LOL

JAM said...

Great pic, Chad. That's neat and the story is as good as the photo.

Welcome back from your hiatus.

Love the new banner and teaser too. I find it nearly impossible to show a photo without at least writing where it was taken. Even a little context goes a long way. I find that blogs without explanations of the photos are still enjoyable, but I get much, much more out of them when they tell me what's going on in the photo(s).