Sunday, September 09, 2007

Night of Joy 2007


This past Friday and Saturday evening I attended the 25th annual “Night of Joy”. Night of Joy is a two night Christian music festival held each September at Magic Kingdom in Walt Disney World. The park is only open to concert attendees during this event and is usually sold out as it was this year. Most of the popular Magic Kingdom rides are open for you to enjoy in between concerts, much to the delight of all the church youth groups there as well as all the young at heart.


There are usually three to four different concert locations throughout the park with Cinderella Castle being the stage for the “Headliners”. The smaller venues this year were "Galaxy Palace Theater" and “Cosmic Ray's Starlight Café”, both located in Tomorrowland. Fantasyland was also used for a stage location which was a change from using Frontierland in recent years.


The park hours for the event this year were 6:00pm to 1:00am on Friday night and 4:00pm to 1:00am on Saturday with concerts getting started at 7:30pm each night. There are usually two to three different artists playing at one time, so you have your choice of who you want to see. As you walk around the park, you’ll also hear modern Christian music being played through the parks sound system. It’s usually songs from all the artists who are featured at that year’s event. For me, it’s the greatest night to be at the Magic Kingdom.


This was my third Night of Joy and fifth of this type of event in the past five years. Universal Studios also holds the same type event the very same weekend called “Rock the Universe”. I usually make my choice by who’s playing at which park.


I had a great (and tiring) weekend to say the least. I took my camera on Friday night and captured some good images of some of my favorite music artists which I will be sharing with you this week. Saturday night I did not take my camera but will still give you some commentary on that great evening as well.


I captured the above image at the end of Friday night as “Third Day” was performing at Cinderella Castle. If you look closely, you’ll see a little glimpse of the sea of humanity that was in attendance.

21 comments:

Coy Hill said...

Cool Shot! Good job in difficult lighting. It looks like you had a great time, now you can go back to work and get some rest :)

Lara said...

wow, that sounds awesome! i've never heard of that event, but it sounds like something i would really enjoy. :)

Lori said...

What a neat event. I've never heard of it either, but it's nice to know that there are things like that going on in the world.

P.S. I have no clue what you're talking about with the lighting on my picture! I was just using my daughter's inexpensive camera and don't have any photo expertise at all! Probably wouldn't hurt for me to take a class one of these days, eh?!

Chica, Cienna, and Cali said...

i 've never heard of it either and i live like an hour away!!! will love to hear all your weekend stories :)

photowannabe said...

I have always wanted to attend that but I'm on the wrong side of the US. Great night shot of the Castle.
Jars of Clay will give a concert at our church in a few weeks. It should be good.

Blue Wave 707 said...

Praise God! That is awesome to have a Christian Rock festival concert @ DisneyWorld.

What other big name Christian bands played?

gaz said...

christ does disney, what a great idea. like most of the people here i've never heard of that happening.
third day rock! especially the 'wire' album, pure excellence.
currently listening to yfriday.

Gabriella said...

Lovely shot!

Extreme Canine said...

Do they have a "Dog day?"

Ash said...

Great shot!

Lucy said...

Sounds awesome!
Third Day sure must have a busy schedule - they just performed at the CA State Fair here in Sac not too long ago.

~Brenda said...

I know how much you were looking forward to attending and glad you went both nights!
Even with the throng of people you were able to take an awesome picture of the castle!

lv2scpbk said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
lv2scpbk said...

Spectacular shot. Love the great details on this castle and the color your captured is awsome. Can't wait to read more about your weekend.

laurel said...

Great shot of the castle. Glad you had a good weekend, can't wait to see more shots.

Jose said...

I really need a Disneyland fix. I haven't been there in over 20 years. Disney World is a bit too out of our current budget, heck Disneyland is out of our current budget. Love the picture.

Jill said...

Sounds like a great time!!! And what a good nite shot. Not easy.

Corinne said...

Amazing shot! Like looking at a fairy tale.

mark said...

that castle looks cool

JAM said...

Amazing shot of the castle and stage setup.

I've seen Audio Adrenaline more times than I can count, but my favorite performance was at Night of Joy several years ago.

It's a blast to go, and you really get your walking in to try to see all of your favorites.

They ususally have softer performers on one night and the more rock-ish bands the other night. I usually go for the harder music.

Becki said...

this picture looks so relaxing its lovely.