Thursday, December 28, 2006

The Simple Candle


I love the glow of a candle. I was trying to think of something to post and thought I’d capture some of the “ambiance” of my apartment. The blurred, multi-colored lamp you kind of see in the background, was a lamp that I first noticed at a store before I ever had my own place. I said that I would love to have something like that when I got my own apartment. So, once I had my own place, I went and got the lamp. It’s called “the Medusa” because of the many different lamps coming off of it.

Ok, I’m talking more about the blurred background image than I am the actual subject of this photograph. As I said, I love the glow of a candle. I think we humans have something deep within us from long ago when our only light source at night was that of fire. With all the electricity that surrounds us, we seem to still be drawn at times, to the simple candle.

16 comments:

photowannabe said...

It only takes one candle to drive away the darkness. Our Christmas Candle Light Service was a perfect example of that. It was beautiful and so is this photo.

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Photowannabe,
I'm sure your service was wonderful. Thanks, I'm glad you like it.

Muleman said...

Very nice!

Wingnut said...

I have yet to really master low light techniques for the digital cameras, the more I play the more intrigued I become, this is lovely! Someday I will also play with long exposures, but for now they baffle me.... Wish we lived close and could get together to shot and play!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Wingnut,
Here's some of the specs from the shot- Aperture: F/3.2 Shutter: 1/30sec. ISO:100. Hope that sheds some "light" on how I did it.

You did a great job on capturing the Christmas lights, what was your secret?

Roland Simmons said...

Nice image Chad. That is one hell of a lamp. :-)

John Roberts said...

I just discovered your blog, and I have enjoyed your photography and your writing. I will add your blog to my photo blog links, if you have no objections. Keep up the good work!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

John,
Thanks for the visit, I'm glad your enjoying everything. Go ahead and add me to your links, I appreciate it!

Thanks,
Chad

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Roland,
It is a great lamp, and those colored shades are made of glass not plastic like a lot of the knock-offs are. This one is the real deal;)

Kimberley said...

as simple as it is it is still grand! I LOVE candles of any kind and you have captured this one just right! Happy New Years!

Unknown said...

Your apartment looks warm and inviting. I like the lamp too :)

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Faye,
Thanks, I've had different people who have visited tell me that it's "cozy".

Lucy said...

Pretty picture!

Jill said...

Nice candle light shot. Not easy.

Brian Mc said...

Very, very, nicely done. HNY!

Chad Oneil Myers said...

Brian,
Thanks, that means a lot.