Wednesday, June 14, 2006

Auto Art





What makes classic automobiles so interesting? Why are they so beautiful? For me, I think it's the design for one thing. I think cars were made a bigger deal of as a whole back when the automobile was still young, you can just tell by the some times flamboyant lines and curves. I've tried to capture that when I started photographing them at Old Town's weekly Saturday Night Cruise in Kissimmee Florida back in 2004. I guess I got inspired by two things; my 2000 Mustang that I got at the end of 2003 and the digital camera I got for Christmas that year. My Mustang made me feel like I was a part of the American car heritage. My new digital camera allowed me to experiment more with my photography and get closer because of the "Macro" capabilities of most digital cameras.

Some of the cars have a romantic sense to them for me. I can just look at the bucket seats in a Corvette Stingray and imagine going down the road on a Friday night with a special girl by my side. A ride for just her and I. If you listen carefully to the stories that people are telling around you at one of these shows, you will hear things like "We had one of those when we were dating" or "When we first got married, that was our first car". It's amazing how these autos are weaved into peoples lives.

So, when I photograph these classic cars at Old Town, I try to capture the beauty, magic, and romance that make these machines so wonderful.

2 comments:

Jody said...

I agree. I don't know much about cars but I can appreciate their aesthetic beauty. I became emotionally attached to my '85 volvo, which I recently had to sell. She was beautiful!

tufrthnails said...

YOU KNOW THAT I AM GOING TO LIKE THIS BLOG. I LOVE THE ANTIQUE CARS AND TRUCKS. I LOOK FORWARD TO COMING HOME AND GOING TO THE SHOW AGAIN. THERE IS DEFINITELY SOMETHING ABOUT TAKING THE 79' STINGRAY OUT ON A FRIDAY NIGHT AND DOING NOTHING ,BUT CRUISING AROUND TOWN.