Tuesday, October 03, 2006

The Deer Hunter


During a visit with my parents in Pennsylvania during 2005, me and my step Dad whom I call Dad, went for a walk one evening. He was taking a plastic chair to place in a tree stand that he uses for deer hunting. I had taken my camera hoping to capture something cool. As we walked through the woods up on a ridge, we stumbled upon a deer skull that was a remnant from one of the deer my Dad had harvested the year before. As the sun was beginning to set, I seized the opportunity to capture this unique image.

I never really had a person to call “Dad” growing up, because of my parents marriage dissipating before I was one year old. I never lacked anything though, because my Grandparents helped my Mom raise me. I had a very good childhood as a result. My Mom finally found my Dad when I was 15 years old and they have been married for 12 years now. As I’ve aged into adulthood, I’ve seen how my Dad has taken good care of my Mom and this makes me glad. They both have been through divorce and I’m very happy they have each other.

Recently I was listening to some people complain about marriage. As I listened to these jaded individuals, I had to think of how there are plusses and minuses to everything in life. There are many things in life that are wonderful, but also have their own challenges just the same. There are challenges to being single and as I’ve observed in others lives, there are challenges to being married.

Another thought that came to my mind as I listened to these individual’s discontentment, was that no matter what circumstances we live in, we need Christ to truly bring life to it. It is through Him that anything is truly good. We could have anything in this world, but if we don’t have Christ, we won’t have true life or joy. This is why I can be happy in my singleness and it’s also why I will have an amazing marriage some day! It’s through my Heavenly Father and Savior, Jesus Christ.

Check out my Dad’s Blog, he’s the one and only "Salty".

19 comments:

Kimberley said...

Too cool...Son and Dad, Impressive. I like the color in this shot, skulls kinda scarey ;o)

photowannabe said...

Thanks for sharing your heart. Things fall apart without Christ being the cornerstone.

That picture seems like something from CSI.

ASHE said...

This photo really seems to have a message behind it, or at least a couple of ways to interpret it. Its more than just an image, colors on paper, its art :)

Anonymous said...

Superbe photo, avec une ambiance tres film d'horreur

Coy Hill said...

Way cool shot Chad! And thanks for your kind words!

Manuel Tendero Gil said...

hola estupenda fotografia muy buena un saludo

Cergie said...

Whatis important is to have a dad who loves you and it does not matter if it is not your biologic one.
It's good for a boy to have a male in his life whom he can follow.

Never mind how old you are and how long you are married the most important is to have love and do your best to be well to gether.

Even old persons may be in love, not only young ones, and that's really hopeful and promising.

Your photo is perhaps your only one but it's better having oonly one such as this great one, with such a mood, than plenty of insignificant pictures.

Chad Oneil Myers said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
TRM said...

I grew up hunting and fishing with my dad. Some of the best times I remeber were spent there. Your photo and comentary bring back some great memories. He's gone now, and I miss him, especially this time of year as hunting season rolls around. Nice post.

Unknown said...

That is a very nice photo, I like the way you captured it on that angle and had the sun comming through. I agree with you about the joy of having Christ in your life too, very good.

Carie said...

Great shot. I love how the fall leaves pop out.

I have the same thing in my life with my "step" Dad, he is my dad, and stepped in where mine stepped out! Nice to know they are there!

I love to check out your blog. Thanks for the wonderful shots and the great stories to go with them. I look forward to more!!!

Dave MacIntyre said...

Cool shot Chad.

David Pentecost said...

that is way too creepy of a photo...reminds me of a cow skull that my brother and I found as kids. It was like something out of a western.

Nice story about your parents.

Jill said...

WOW! How different this one is! I like it lots.

Lucy said...

Fantastic post.

Corinne said...

That's impressive! I like the starburst effect here.

ari4u said...

great shot. Love the skull. Cool lens-flare

Anonymous said...

Every once and a while I come across an image that I know will stay in my head for days to come, this is one.
Well done, Chad.

udayhere said...

I like the first three pics...
I kinda like pictures where the people in the picture don't look at the camera lens.

nice work,
_Uday