Wednesday, July 09, 2008

An Engagement Story part 2


Once inside the “Lakeland Square Mall”, Sandy and I soon found ourselves standing beside a glass case of engagement rings. As we waited for a clerk to help us, we looked at each other with big smiles on our faces. Our relationship had brought us to this place and the reality of it was surrounding us there in that store.

After looking at a few “prospect rings”, we moved on to another jewelers. It was the place that I had purchased the amethyst pendant for Sandy a few months ago. A sales lady named Anna, helped us and began showing Sandy the rings that caught her eye. Before long, Sandy was trying on a ring that the store referred to as, “The Paris Ring”, because it resembled the Eiffel Tower. Sandy has been to Paris, so I was anxious to see what she thought about this one. At first, she didn’t think she liked it, but as she spent a little bit more time with it, she began to become very fond of the ring. By the time we left the store, she was declaring it one of her favorites that she had seen thus far that day.

As I realized how much she liked “The Paris Ring“, I knew more and more that that was the one that I wanted to get for her. We looked at one more store, but I said before going into it that we weren’t going to find anything that compared to the ring she liked, and I was right.

The next day after I left work for the evening, I went back to that jewelers. Before I knew it, I had purchased the ring that Sandy raved over the previous day. I now had in my possession the very ring that I would ask Sandy to marry me with! When I got in my car and closed the door, I shouted “WHOOO!” a couple times at the top of my lungs. Much like I did at the end of my first date with Sandy, once I was in the quiet confines of my car.

All I had to do now was figure out when to propose. Immediately, my thoughts went to the upcoming 4th of July weekend. We could celebrate all three days and Sandy could show off her “BLING” to everyone the whole time.

There was actually one more thing left to do first though; I had to let her Dad know what I was planning on doing. So, that same night, I emailed him:

Mr. Vasquez,
“…I would like to meet with you briefly sometime on Friday during the day...if your schedule allows. Sandy can't know that I want to meet with you though, so maybe we can make it look spontaneous as if it was your whole idea? Whatever will provide a way that I could get a few minutes to talk with just you. …Please don't let Sandy know that I emailed you or wanted to meet up. It has to do with surprising her later.”

The next night, I called her Dad, by his request, to set up “a time to meet”. Since I wasn’t completely clear in my email (because I was wanting to talk about it face to face), he asked what it was that I was wanting to do for Sandy? I said, “well actually…I was wanting to ask her to marry me!“OH, I see!”, he replied. After we chatted for a few moments, I had received his blessing.

That was Tuesday night, it wasn’t until Thursday afternoon that I had begun to get a clear picture as to “how” I was going to do this.

19 comments:

Coy Hill said...

Wooo-Hooooo

Great story! Of course you have already told us but it is great reading it! Nice image work too, it really pops!

Sand said...

Wow, its been a while, and all I can say is Congratulations! Something must be in the air.....

Gabriella said...

Very pretty!!! Great choice.

Kekiinani said...

The anticipation of the continuing story. This is great!! I love it. Congratulations!!! AND thank you so much for still visiting my blog!! :) :) The ring is awesome... Great choice.. Aloha, Renee :)

Michele @ crazyfordesign said...

It really does look like the eiffel tower! :)

Lara said...

yay, yay, and yay! i'm loving this story.

Tom said...

And.... where the rest... you can't leave it up in the air like this..more.

Anne said...

Chad- I know what happens but you are a great writer...building the suspense! Please get this published!
Anne

Shionge said...

You are such a Gentleman Chad and I would be so proud to have a son like you so to speak.

For Chinese, it seems such a natural thing to do (that is to get marry) that usually couples just decide when to get marry and inform their respective parents.

I am glad to hear that Sandy's Dad gave blessing and most importantly to me, it shows that you have a great upbring and your parents should be so proud of you.

Now from me, good luck and blessings to you and Sandy as you prepare your journey to be husband and wife.

(Eh..by the way, will I be invited for the wedding hehhehe....)

Jose said...

Women live for romantic stuff like this. I think you are totally covering the romance area rather nicely. Thanks for sharing with us such an important time in your life.

photowannabe said...

This is the absolute best thing I have read. I am so excited and thrilled for you. I can't wait for part 3.
The ring is gorgoeus, awesome and the perfect ring for her finger.

~Brenda said...

When you told us about your engagement; I cried tears of joy; now I am reading about it and am smiling, not just on my face but, also in my heart!

“The Paris Ring” is elegant and the photo is well-designed!

Anna said...

I AM SO HAPPY FOR YOU MY FRIEND! This is just perfect! :) I cant wait to here more and of course see more! Can I get an invitation???

lv2scpbk said...

Congrats! Hope everything goes as planned. You will be posting wedding photos soon.

Kerri Farley said...

WOW! Fabulous telling of your engagement story...I LOVE how you asked her Father's permission!
Can't wait to read more!!

Blue Wave 707 said...

Cool macro shots of Sandy's ring!

Joel Reynolds said...

Dude, this story is gold. Can't wait to hear the rest!

Joel

Lori said...

Oh wow, Chad....that ring is spectacular! I've never seen anything like that. And I think what I like best is that it has an antique look to it, which is so beautiful. It's hard to find rings like they used to make. She must have been ecstatic!

Truly beautiful...all of it.

Wolf Lover Girl said...

Love her ring! Reminds me of mine. Husband said the sales lady called it a "5 table ring" - can see the bling 5 tables away! :-)

She'll cherish it for years! Congrats!

~ Wolf Lover Girl